The latest statements from Peng Shuai, the tennis star who disappeared after accusing one of China’s most powerful men of sexual assault, have left the world wondering what to make of the athlete’s explosive claims. In an interview this past Sunday, Peng appeared to retract her earlier allegations of abuse. Yet her new message should not be taken at face value. Given the Chinese government’s well-documented history of forcing dissidents and activists to record videos in which they publicly deny their mistreatment, there is reason to believe that Peng is still not speaking freely. Read More
- Tina Charles joins Seattle Storm for remainder of season
- Rutgers hires Nikki McCray-Penson as assistant women’s basketball coach
- Alex Scott: I will carry on despite sexist abuse
- Mercury coach Vanessa Nygaard, Aces star A’ja Wilson call for Brittney Griner’s return
- She Was WWE’s First Female Referee. She Says Vince McMahon Raped Her. Rita Chatterton does not want to be forgotten.