Long before Cari Champion ever knew she’d become a broadcast journalist, she used to tag along to Los Angeles Lakers’ games with her sports-obsessed grandmother, Estelle Manning. Now 96, Manning planted the sports seed in her granddaughter’s heart. Champion recalls that when no one else would go to the games, she excitedly jumped at the chance just to spend time with her grandmother, who she describes as “a hardcore basketball fan.” This special bond laid the groundwork for Champion’s love of sports, which would eventually bring her full circle to her life’s purpose. Read More
- Jessie Diggins, with front-row seat to climate change, lobbies Congress to take action
- ‘We called her Roger Federer’: How Ons Jabeur made her mark in Tunisia
- Emma Raducanu fit for French Open after back problem
- U.S. soccer has equal gender pay. Will other sports follow?
- WNBA legend Sheryl Swoopes speaks on ‘Kneading Dough’